Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Blog Chain: Motivation

Or the post in which I use the word love five million times. Or just six. :)

A couple of things first. I changed the blog layout again. I know it's only been a few months, but the cutesiness of the old one was slowly killing me and this one feels more science-fictiony. Actually, the night sky in the alien world in Embrol is purple, so this one is pretty close to perfect. Now, if I could just figure out how to slip a couple of alien moons in there.... ;)

Also, my rule-breaking opening (first 117 words) is up on Blackbird in my Window if you want to check it out. I'd love to hear what you think.

Now for the blog chain. This round was started by Laura. She asked:

What keeps you going (either trying to get an agent or to get published or finish that WIP that's kicking your butt) when you know the odds are stacked way against you?

Well, I do love a challenge. Or maybe I'm subconsciously punishing myself for something I don't remember doing? ;)

Seriously, though, I think a lot of it is just the hope that maybe if I keep at it, one day I might be able to make a little money doing something I love, which I can't say for any job I've had in the past. And I would love, love, love to see my book with a pretty cover sitting on the shelf at the bookstore. Actually, I think this might be the end result I'm looking forward to the most. So the whole ebooks-taking-over-the-world thing needs to hold off a while longer. You think it'll wait for me? ;)

What about you? What keeps you going knowing the odds are stacked way against you?

Be sure to check out Christine's post from yesterday and Kat's post tomorrow.

12 comments:

  1. Before I even started reading I was thinking what a brilliant blog design this is. LOVE it. It's perfect for a writer :)

    Wagging Tales - Blog for Writers

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a tough question. I think I never really believed the odds were THAT against me. I mean, I knew that publishers got like 10,000 PB manuscripts a year and published 10-20, but I also knew that most of them were pretty lousy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just keep thinking of all the student loans I have and how the crap job I have now isn't going to pay them off any time soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new layout! And oh yea...I keep holding on....

    ReplyDelete
  5. NIce layout! I think it's hope, it's the chance that it could be me that keeps all writers going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The new layout is awesome, Abby. This is a great answer too, and I think it rings true with a lot of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool layout! I don't think about the odds, because there's also hope out there for each of us to get published.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful design! Love it. And great post, best of luck with the writing!

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  9. One thing that keeps me going is reading blogs like this and knowing I'm not alone in the pursuit. Great article - even had me laughing out loud at one point - that's a good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charmaine: Thank you! :)

    Corey: Good point. I try to remind myself, too, that just because there's a lot of competition doesn't mean we're all on the same level.

    Tere: Definitely a good motivator. :)

    Christine: Thank you! :)

    Laura: Thank you! Hope is a great motivator! :)

    Eric: Thank you! I always love your comments. :)

    Michelle: Good point. I don't think about the odds often, but they're always there, nagging me. :)

    Sarah: Thank you! :)

    Kimberly: Thank you! The online community of writers is amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just tell myself it'll never happen unless I make it. Duh, right? But for some reason that makes me keep putting one foot in front of the other.

    And I like your blog design. It's hard finding one that feels right, I know.

    ReplyDelete