Monday, April 18, 2011

Blog Chain: Writing Without a Map

Blog chain time! I got confused about my posting day so I'm late again. One of these days I'll get it up on the right day. Maybe. :) Eric started this round. He asked:

When was the last time you just sat down and started writing, with nothing but a whisper of an idea to guide you?  Did you find it easy to do or did you find yourself struggling for a more organized story?

I did this with the first half of the first draft of my first novel (which I was clueless then, so nothing was a struggle), but I don't think I've done it since. Honestly, just the idea of writing this way stresses me out. I'm not big on outlining, but I at least have to have a good idea of how the scene is going to go before I can sit down and write. Otherwise, I just end up sitting there, staring at my screen until I come up with a plan for the scene. And then, that's not really writing with just a whisper of an idea. ;)

I know it's something I should try, and it would probably help curb my perfectionism to learn to write like that. Just have to find the right motivation, I guess.

What about you? Do you ever write like this? Is it easy to do or do you struggle with it?

Be sure to check out Christine before me and Kat after. :)

And the last few days have been crazy busy and I haven't had a chance to pick a winner yet for the giveaway, but I'll try to have it up soon.

7 comments:

  1. Good post. I find it easy to just sit and write nilly-willy. If I outline a story, I end up killing it off by being to strict to what I have outlined and I don't let the story evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always start with an idea, but I can't move forward without a map (outline). Can't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd maybe freewrite like that. But if I try and write without any kind of direction, it turns out pretty bad. As in really bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh heh, that's okay Abby. Not all of us can ride the crazy train. Besides, there's definitely times I wish I were leaning more towards the perfectionist ways you follow. As much as it's a struggle for you to freewrite, it's just that hard for me to write in an organized way. As long as we both get the story written, it's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, man, I'm with you, Abby. I *have* to have an outline of the whole story arc before I start now. I learned a lot during the revision process for Legacy, and I want to help myself out next time so it's not such a mess!

    I do sometimes "go for it" with short stories, though ;).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your take...and I realy do start with a whisper, even if I don't write until it is actually a lot more than that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to free write...then I ended up with a story without a clear plot. So, now I outline.

    ReplyDelete