Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Hmm. Your Book’s Kind of Smelly…

I was on the interstate today when the unmistakable smell of skunk filtered through the vents into my truck, and it made me smile. Not because I’m weird (the jury’s still out on that subject), because it triggered a memory of a happy time in my life.

Moving to Idaho has been a bit surreal. It seems so strange that I could be in one state one day and in another, 1000 miles away, the next. Not that it isn’t different here. There are a lot of things that are different. Like snow, for example. Never had that in AZ, and Idaho Falls gets a lot. I just haven’t felt like we’re really living in Idaho. And I didn’t understand why, until today—all the smells are missing in the winter.

Growing up, I spent at least two weeks out of every summer in Idaho and Utah visiting family. My favorite part of the trip was always pulling off the interstate and driving on the country roads to get to my grandparents’ house. The air was always cool and rich with the smell of fresh cut hay—one of my favorite smells. And I don’t really know why—we had skunks in AZ—but the smell of skunk always reminds of those summers spent with my cousins.

My point?

Smells can be a very potent reminder of things we’ve forgotten, good or bad, and they’re a very important part of a person’s daily sensory experience. Therefore, I try to incorporate smells into the description in my writing. But I’ve found them to be the hardest thing to describe. Some smells are so unique that it’s difficult to put them into words. Like the way my grandpa smells when I hug him. There’s nothing in particular that stands out, he just smells like my grandpa. Or even the way fresh cut hay smells. If you’ve never smelled it, that description isn’t going to do much for you.

Maybe I’m over thinking this.

What do you all think? Do you put smelly descriptions in your writing? Do you think it’s important to include smelly descriptions?

12 comments:

  1. I don't think I have put much odorific descriptors in my writing, and you're right that I should. Those little details sprinkled here and there are what really improve the quality. Nice post. Oh, and I had no idea they had skunks in AZ. I would have figured it too hot for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post :). It's so true that smells bring back memories more than anything else. I remember playing with this bottle of my grandma's rose perfume when I was three... I don't think I'd remember that day without the smell of roses to jog my memory.

    I try to add smells once in a while, but I think it's my most neglected sense in my writing. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I totally agree-smells can bring you back in such a vivid way. I saved some shampoo I used during my honeymoon and I'll take it out every so often (when it's especially cold and dreary) just to go back. For a second.

    This post totally reminds me of a manuscript we beta read. The author used the MC's sense of smell in such a unique and memorable way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My ms was completely lacking in smell descriptions. I've been putting some in as I rewrite. They are hard, though, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the sense of smell is incredibly powerful, and should be used sparingly in novel writing. But definitely used. Definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might be guilty if overusing smells in my last one--but in my own defense, belle époch Paris was probably pretty smelly. I had to do a search and replace of "reeking" after I realized I'd used it half a dozen times.

    I know exactly what you mean about the skunk smell; living in the city it's been forever since I smelled it, so it reminds me of the country, and my childhood. I think a lot of people probably have a good association with skunk smell. Just not at close range!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I think smells can add a lot to a story if not overdone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love smells. They bring back memory and help create new ones. I think it's some of the best sensory you can use in writing (but not overdo.) I found that sounds do that a lot for me too, especially songs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is all so true, and I'd never thought of it in a smelly way. I just did some work for an international corporate client, and I had to go through and take out all the references to things only North Americans might understand, like "rule of thumb" or "extra innings" or that type of thing - it sounded a little like your smell analogy. My grandpa was a farmer, and he smelled like a metallic-tinged version of freshly turned earth. With tobacco. Which smells like The Farm to me. But not everyone will know what a farm smells like, and not all farms smell the same. Thanks for making me think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sense of smell seems one of the strongest triggers of memory. It would be interesting to incorporate that into a story. Yet I don't recall using it in my work. A great idea, though, to consider as I write.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing puts me smack dab in the middle of a scene I'm reading like scent descriptions. So I try to use them as often as possible in my own writing.

    You have a gorgeous site!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this perfume that I wore every day when I studied abroad in Europe. I still can't bring myself to throw away the bottle because it smells like freedom. Like possibilities. Like fun. And really, who doesn't want to smell that every once in a while?

    ReplyDelete